If you are contemplating owning or acquiring a Glock, it’s essential to have a firm grasp of its magazine compatibility. The Glock pistol, created in 1982 by curtain-rod manufacturer Gaston Glock, is the gun of choice in the United States. Currently, there are over 50 Glock models on the market.
Although Glock magazines are usually compatible with different models, their compatibility has certain limitations. Despite this, there is still impressive compatibility of Glock magazines across multiple models, which is good news for Glock owners or those considering purchasing one.
Today, Matrix Arms delves deeper into Glock magazine compatibility to help you make an informed decision before any purchase and avoid buying the wrong magazine.
Compatibility by magazine
Glock has produced several generations of pistols, each having unique features and improvements. However, some Glock magazines are still compatible across different generations. Let’s examine the various magazine generations and their compatibility.
- Gen 1 Magazines: These were the first magazines designed to work with Glock pistols. They are notched on the right side for the magazine release and are produced with a polymer body and a metal baseplate. Gen 1 magazines lack compatibility with later generations of Glock guns. Therefore, you should buy them for the specific model Glock to ensure compatibility.
- Gen 2 Magazines: These are quite similar to Gen 1 magazines but feature a redesigned follower and feed lips. Again, to guarantee magazine compatibility, you should purchase magazines designed for your particular Glock model.
- Gen 3 Magazines: Similar to the Gen 1 and 2 models, Gen 3 magazines are also notched for the right-handed magazine release. They can also have an additional notch in the front for two-handed equipped models. Gen 3 magazines are compatible with a wide range of Glock models and calibers. However, Gen 3 magazines may not work well with some magazine wells or aftermarket extensions due to their dimension differences and tolerances.
Magazines designed for Gen 1, 2, and 3 Glocks will work with all magazines up to Generation 3 for specific models as long as the magazine release is configured in the standard right-hand setup.
- Gen 4 Magazines: Gen 4 magazines are interchangeable with previous Glock generations. They are more user-friendly and versatile than their earlier counterparts. Gen 4 magazines feature an interchangeable backstrap system that allows you to customize the grip to your hand size and preferences. Depending on your needs, they also feature a reversible magazine release button, which can be shifted from right-handed to left-handed operation.
- Generation 5 magazines: Introduced in 2017, these magazines do not interchange with previous Glock magazines. Therefore, you need a 5th-generation Glock pistol for Gen 5 magazines. The magazines feature an orange follower, a raised feed lip, and a slightly extended base plate with a curved front. Additionally, they feature notches on both sides to accommodate the reversible magazine release.
Glock magazine compatibility for high capacity
Imagine having to reload every time you take about five or fewer shots. That happens when your magazine has a low capacity — this could put your life in danger, especially in critical situations such as high-risk missions or life-threatening scenarios.
Thankfully, high-capacity magazine options are available to reduce the time it takes to reload your pistol. At Matrix Arms, we offer plenty of options, including extended magazines that hold more rounds. Additionally, you can use a magazine with a loading assist to quickly load your magazine. Many magazines and aftermarket products are also available that are compatible with different models of Glock pistols.
But what if you want to increase magazine capacity or compatibility? You can use a magazine adapter to make that happen. Magazine adapters allow you to use a magazine designed for one firearm in a different gun. Magazine adapters enable you to use a magazine designed for one firearm in a different gun, which can be helpful if you want to use higher-capacity magazines or magazines from a different manufacturer. You can easily customize your Glock pistol with a magazine adapter to fit your needs.
Choose Matrix Arms For Firearm Needs
As one of the most popular firearms in the United States, every Glock owner needs to have a good understanding of Glock magazine compatibility to operate their gun effectively. While some magazine types are designed for specific Glock models, some can be interchanged, which can make finding the right fit overwhelming.
Our selection of high-quality Glock magazines is unmatched. We offer a range of options for various models, including extended magazines and those with loading assist features. Plus, our knowledgeable team is always available to answer any questions you may have about Glock magazine compatibility.
But that’s not all. At Matrix Arms, we’re dedicated to providing top-quality products and exceptional customer service. When you choose us for your firearm needs, you can trust that you’re getting the best of the best.
Ready to upgrade your Glock and take your shooting experience to the next level? Contact us today to place your order or learn more about our products.
Image Credit: eacmich / Shutterstock